Thursday, September 3, 2009

Welcome to Phil's BCS

Ever since I was young and really started getting into college football, one thing bugged the hell out of me. These rankings suck. They are based on the opinions of people who really don't watch enough college football and have no clue what's really going on.

Plus, they were not ranking my Florida Gators very highly. I was six or seven, what do you want from me.

So I learned how to use Microsoft XCel and experimented with other ways to rank college football teams.

So I hit my computer, still unhappy with where the BCS ranked my favorite team and resolved to create a new system for ranking the teams. This is not nearly as scientific or mathematical as those used in the BCS Computer Rankings (rankings that should be given much more weight in the actual BCS).

The system I devised was one based on the purest form of ranking: statistics. I started looking at six very key stats and broke them down simply. I ranked the teams based on rushing yards per game, passing yards per game, points scored, points allowed and rushing yard and passing yards allowed per game and compared them to other ranked teams.

I took this ranking and averaged it out for both an offensive and defensive ranking. This would give me a true look at how teams truly ranked.

Now obviously, stats cannot do it alone. Some teams run up the score (something I have always encouraged) and play weak opponents (something I do not encourage). So after adding some tweaks -- like using the polls available and actually used by the BCS or by respected media outlets and adding a strength of schedule and quality wins component -- I began ranking the college football teams.

To say the least, my ranking have done a pretty good job creating ideal national championship matchups and national champions. True, in the three years I have kept track of my previous rankings, it has not differed from the BCS. But throughout the middle of the season things change.

The purpose of this blog is twofold. First, it will allow me a place to publish these rankings and see how they progress and analyze them more. It will also allow me to take on ideas on how to improve them.

Second, it will also be a place to comment on the college football season. Something we all love doing.

I hope to be able to write more about the rankings in the coming days as well as release a belated Week 1 Rankings before Saturday's games.

Until then, so glad to see college football back. And it is going to be great to have the rankings back after a two year hiatus.

No comments:

Post a Comment